192. Seeking their living


Here I attach a comment I made to a post of the website of The British Council - BBC. I hope it were any interesting to you.



Submitted on 27 August, 2009 - 20:27

Hello, FairyAnna and everybody,
First just to say that the topic of my doctoral thesis is (was) Success in learning English as a foreign language.
Yet, I did not accomplish composing it. To be honest, I left the doctorado and changed the stuff of the thesis into a, say, more for everyday teaching, more practical, not that theoretical. And.. the book has not been published yet (ever?). All in all, you can see the stuff of the book on my blog, in progress, obviously. I'll let you know if many visitors...
Anyway. So, I'm going to say something briefly. Currently I teach several groups of kids, aged 10 to 13. The classes are rather informal, nevertheless serious for we point to a target, which is... success, at speaking, at least. 2 class-periods per week.
The point is that we have fun, a big one, we play a long series of games speaking-aimed. All the class long is in English, the kids may know little English though. I pretend I do not understand them if Spanish is spoken - well it's a joke with them; they know me perfectly. I give them points for a score, within an ambiance of gentle competition. At the end of the academic year other teachers run an auction with the points, just small presents.
I have planned three aims, subsequently and in short: words as replies, making oral sentences, and holding conversations.
The goal is success, at gaining some fluency at speaking. We are after that goal.
Why so this comment? To let you know we have fun, I listen to the kids, and to their parents, at tutorials, and we all try to learn in an easy, demanding atmosphere though, and to bear in mind high values, like helping your friends and so a bit forgetting about yourself.
Hope this might give a dim light at least about so attracting our profession is, as you well know. We are educating persons, that's worth enough to devote your life.
Best for everyone. At your disposal.
Fernando Diez
Granada (Spain)


Picture from auladejuanma wordpress com. Sub-Saharanian inmigrants in a dud "patera". Many of those people try to reach the Spanish coasts. Many die on the way. They can be demanded some €3,000 for the journey, by the mafias from their birthcountries.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3658. Language Facts or Communication in Class?

2064. Connecting people from different countries

758. Irregular verbs now and then

2445. We Had Nice Teachers To Remember!

2551. Agradecimiento a TeacherLingo