359. I didn't know what he can achieve, amazing!


I just opened www.teachingenglish.org.uk and I saw the staff published a comment of mine. Thank you. On this comment on the site I respond to a teacher who asks for any clue or help about making groups according to the students’ level of English.


Dear colleagues,

I would be glad to get feedback from Ts who have experience in making groups according to level.

It may sound very simple but in fact it is not.

The situation is as follows:

My Faculty (English Studies) offers a course for Ss from other faculties. The course is compulsory and motivation is very low.

The course aims at developing their listening skills only, using authentic recordings from the radio for instance.

The Ss have to take a free online placement test and pass on their score to the head teacher. This is not supervised by anybody.

Consequently, many Ss easily manage to be in the lowest level group so as to twiddle their thumbs and get good marks.

The Faculty has not budget for reliable placement tests, which Ss could easily "fail" anyway.

The question is: is there a way out, bearing in mind that many Ss are not motivated?

All suggestions welcome!

Best

Claire






Making groups according to level


Submitted on 28 May, 2010 - 18:11


Hello Claire and everyone,


Let's see whether I can say anything helpful.

I've had similar experiences, like splitting classess into two different-level groups. At last it did not work fine and we changed back to the previous conducting. Low-level ss didn't improve and had not reference-leaders who would pull them up, in the classroom.

Lately I work with students at extra-curricular evening classes. I've always worked - right now I'm realizing- with mixed-ability groups. Well, as any other T of English, coming to the head of the question.

Ok, in the past years I used to alternate a low-achievement activiy with the next one, which was a high-level one.

Be aware that more likely, I think, you could point at a high target, somehow putting aside the slowest students (or low-achievement, if you prefer). Well, you also, on the other hand and up to some extenct, 'forget' the high-achievers.

Currently, beside the thing I've just told you, whenever I'm implementing a, say, high activity, I also ask questions to the lower-level kids... and they get to say things in L2, they intervene! All the class is in L2. And this makes them boost themselves up, high, no doubt.

Then I smile and reckon their effort and gently praise their hit. They see, I'd say, that you are seriously concerned about their progress in the process of learning/acquiring English.

As you can expect, the ss get highly motivated. I also run competitions: they absolutely love them - My latter ss are aged 10 to 14. Yet, it in some way may help older ss. I presume the inner of my philosophy is what I've said (it's not only of mine, I've obviouly learnt from others!).

I can assure you I have achieved to push up 'hopeless', 'declared terminally ill' students.

You respect them as singular persons who strive, and they respect you and your daily struggle to make them better persons.

So as to finish: commitment, affection, concerning, dedication, real interest, listening, taking all their stuff into account.

Best wishes

More theory and practical stuff on http://fernandoexperiences.blogspot.com

Fernando Diez Gallego

Teacher of English. Teacher trainer/coach

Granada (Spain)

Photo from www winner com py. Federico Chaparro is the player. Paraguay.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3657. How to Develop a Lesson that Could Be Efficient

758. Irregular verbs now and then

2788. A Smiling Teacher

2540. Why Do You Shout So Much?

2212. Saint Joseph, father of the Holy Family