370. Many people may miss communication


A comment of mine on British Council BBC website, published today June 9. The site can be found on www.teachingenglish.co.uk


Hello cmftrier and everyone,

In my degree of Philology of English we were taught the difference between errors and mistakes. It fits what some of you state.

If it helps you out, my primeval goal in the classroom is communication. Right now I'm referring to speaking errors or mistakes. One of you, sorry who?, said that making errors and mistakes is a sign of actual learning.

I let my students utter their messages, and I try to express my wish to understand them, yet they speak in broken English. So, the point in the class is the real communication among us.

Secondly but not less important, I correct some mistakes/errors few times while someone is explainig something: I let him or her speak out. I do not much butt in what that student is saying.

When one student is explaining something or just stammering some words, or maybe saying full sentences, depending on their level.

However, at other moments of the classes we practice the punctual grammar, useful to utter more messages. Or similar messages to the already ones said in former classes. Thus their improving to talk is sustained and helped by the grammar and vocab they are learning. They invent some words: it's ok, so far, we'll polish their style.

In the classes, fully in L2, the students may have close to no idea of English, though. Anyway, it's also important for them to listen to the the texture of spoken English. In an English-speaking atmosphere.

Best for you all!

Fernando M Diez Gallego

Granada (Spain)


Photo from dailykos com Thank you. A homeless man in dreadful winter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3658. Language Facts or Communication in Class?

758. Irregular verbs now and then

2064. Connecting people from different countries

2065. Teaching grammar with meaningful examples