474. He (she?) is building up communication


Here you have a post by a teacher, published on British Council – BBC’s website about teaching English. And an answer by me; I suppose one of the replies by other teachers.


Hi everybody! My name is Valeria. I'm a teacher of English from Argentina. I'm carrying out a research paper on How to evaluate speaking skill. Have you ever reflected upon this issue? What aspects do we have to take into account when evaluating speaking? How can we help our students develop those aspects? What do you think about this?


It would be a great pleasure for me to read your feedbacks and include them as part of the investigation.


Thanks in advanced.


Yours,


Valeria.


*************


Hello Valeria and everyone,

I think you have hit the target. I mean, speaking could be one of the most important skills for a reaserch, because speaking may be the most important or usual means of communication.

See it this way: if a student can speak in English, up to some point you can say that person manages communicating in that language. Evidently the skills of listening, reading and writing are as well of a paramount importance, and necessary. Anyway, roughly speaking, I usually think that that person manages English, because he or she can actually speak in English.

I've worked out a lot on speaking. My doctorate theme encomprises speaking.

Teaching English = (a too general view, I do know) helping and teaching students how to speak... and communicate by speaking.

I'd tell you the following things, if any useful to you.

First thing to take into account when evaluating speaking: the message the learner conveys in English, in other words, the communication which is held among two people. Don't get me wrong with what follows: "forget" about accuracy of grammar. That person is trying to tell you something, and you are trying to say something, trying that person would understand your ideas, your messages.

Honestly most of my class-time is devoted to speaking, to connect people through communication. The classes are entirely in English: the classroom is a special place, say, an environment where English is the only language among us. “I don't understand Spanish": it's a funny treat in which I act out as if I would not understand Spanish. And it's their business to solve the problem of communicating with me. Even I make faces because "I don't understand".

An anecdote: a few times my new students have asked me what country I'm from: and I'm Spanish like most of them. They are already in the classroom when I come in, waiting for me, for the teacher.

But if the students have close to no idea of English? I don't care. It's good for them to listen, massively, in English. And furthermore I use miming, eye-contact, the board, drawings, examples, cognate words, humour, fun. I can assure you they, admirably, little by little, with the big aid of grammar and vocab, they achieve even to utter full sentences, even to maintain conversations.

There is no room here to tell you more things. I stop here. I hope all this stuff would be helpful and give you some light for your research paper (and some help to other colleagues of ours, I'be be glad).

Sorry, I feel I've spoken too much about myself; anyway it's the nice experience I've had.

Best for your research paper.

Fernando M Díez

Teacher of English. Teacher trainer. - Granada

http://fernandoexperiences.blogspot.com

(September 6)

Photo from: nigeria aderinola wordpress com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3657. How to Develop a Lesson that Could Be Efficient

758. Irregular verbs now and then

2788. A Smiling Teacher

2212. Saint Joseph, father of the Holy Family

2540. Why Do You Shout So Much?